As anyone who knows me is well aware, I'm a fan of transparency and I'm also a fan of getting shit done and pushing myself. This last year has admittedly been a bit of a haze for me after a cross country move, several job changes (one of them being an acquisition), a baby, and lots of travel and speaking. I just turned 30 and so here I am, getting myself back into a proper cycle of setting goals that are important to me and executing. I hope everyone around me pushes me and holds me to the high bar that I try to hold myself!
These OKRs are intended to cover the second half of 2018, from July 1 to December 31. Here we go.
Objective 1: Get my physical, spiritual, and mental health back on track
- Run the army 10 mile race in under 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Go to the gym (or work out at home) at least 5 times each week.
- Practice meditation (or some other mindfulness activity) each and every day.
- Get body fat levels down to 10%.
- Eat cleaner, real food instead of excessive sweets, alcohol, and heavily processed food.
- Work up to doing 25 pull-ups straight.
Objective 2: Actively pivot career path to balance personal health, family time, happiness, fulfillment, an d social impact.
- Settle myself in a job that gives me the flexibility I need to spend time with family and friends, continue living in MD, and support our goals.
- Put together a revised 20 year career plan.
- Go on 3 weekend getaway trips.
- Go on 1 big family vacation.
- Do the necessary research and get the process started to build our family through adoption.
Objective 3: Make a greater impact in my community at home, at church, and at work.
- Start actively volunteering with Lighthouse Church in one of their missions programs.
- Get https://hackyourcybercareer.com site back on track and built up with resources for new entrants and new leaders.
- Build an online course on pivoting careers into cyber security and publish under https://hackyourcybercareer.com.
- Write an initial book proposal and detailed outline.
- Donate $7,500 to causes and organizations that our family cares deeply about.
- Speak at 5 different events (e.g., conferences, meetups, etc.).
- Help 3 people with a personal/career goal of their own (e.g., getting into the security field, mentoring, etc.).
Objective 4: Make our home into something we truly love and enjoy living in.
- Successfully remodel our kitchen.
- Install a patio in the backyard off of the deck.
- Remove all of the old landscaping, install new, and put in a new walkway.
- Install a new front door with brass fixtures.
- Refinish the front stairs and banister.
- Each room in the house is decorated and functional.
Objective 5: Build more streams of income for our family.
- Get our guest bedroom listed on AirBnB.
- Put together a plan to purchase and save enough for a down payment on a rental property.
- Start tracking and optimize a family budget.
- Get all of my retirement accounts consolidated into a single 401k or roth account.
- Build and release a mobile app with one of the ideas I have flushed out.
Objective 6: Keep learning, keep improving.
- Start my master’s program at The Citadel in international politics and military affairs.
- Learn (or significantly improve) 2 new skills and write about the experience at https://buildingthebat.com
- Go through a 100 days of code challenge.
- Be able to carry on a conversation in French.
- Read 10 books.